[TowerTalk] Replying to the list...AGAIN!

Joe Subich, K4IK k4ik at subich.com
Wed Jul 21 15:23:12 EDT 2004

> Now, the question is, WHY can't we get the list default
> changed, since it's clear that the vast majority of us
> subscribers want it that way?

 ... because the lists at contesting.com are not democracies.
As far as I know ALL of the lists @ contesting.com were set
up to "reply to sender" by default.  As the administrator of
two of the lists (not towertalk), I prefer it that way as it:

1) prevents personal replies from reaching the list (which
   would otherwise happen several times a week)

2) greatly damps the start of a flame war ... one has to make
   a clear choice to send to the list.  That encourages a
   "think twice before hitting send" mindset.

3) it improves the signal to noise ratio as off topic posts
   do not propagate as quickly or as long.

I have had lists configured BOTH ways over the years, and
believe me, this way is far better.  One list developed such
a problem with flame wars, ad hominem attacks and, off topic
postings after being set to "replies to the list" that it now
runs in a fully moderated mode.

Not to speak for the administrator of this list, but if you
don't like the way this list is operated, there are other
tower reflectors.

73,

   ... Joe, K4IK