[TowerTalk] Tower fault... Gunnar/Olson study...updated

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Mon Jul 26 10:25:26 EDT 2004

At 09:59 PM 7/25/2004, you wrote:

>A few years ago, Steve, K7LXC mentioned something about the Gunnar-Olson
>report on collapsing guyed towers.
>
>I need to procure a copy of that report.  Anyone have an idea as to where
>that can be located?
>
>I need a copy of it ASAP.
>
>I'm not on the list...so please privately reply to my account at
>towers at mre.com.

 From the list archive:

[TowerTalk] guyed tower reference?

from
[<http://lists.contesting.com/archives/html/Towertalk/2001-08//archives//cgi-bin/namazu.cgi?query=%2Bfrom%3ASavageBR%40aol.com&idxname=Towertalk&sort=date%3Alate>SavageBR at aol.com]
[<http://lists.contesting.com/archives/html/Towertalk/2001-08//archives//cgi-bin/mesg.cgi?a=Towertalk&i=104.72b67de.289fe31b%40aol.com>Permanent
Link][<http://lists.contesting.com/archives/html/Towertalk/2001-08//archives//cgi-bin/extract-mesg.cgi?a=Towertalk&m=2001-08&i=104.72b67de.289fe31b%40aol.com>Original]
To: <<mailto:towertalk%40contesting.com>towertalk at contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] guyed tower reference?
From: <mailto:SavageBR%40aol.com>SavageBR at aol.com
(<mailto:SavageBR%40aol.com>SavageBR at aol.com)
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 08:10:03 EDT

Hi Len
The only document and data I have found is a letter written to a Mr. Richard
Ramirez at WHCT-TV in Hartford, CT. by Mr. Gunnar Olsen, Jr., P.A.,P.E.

I obtained my copy from Tower Tech, PO Box 572, Woodinville, WA. 98072

The letter is in draft form and discusses an engineering study performed by
Mr. Olsen of a number of guyed towers that collapsed during the past 40
years. The study indicates all of the debris from a standard multiguyed tower
will fall within a circle with a radius which would not exceed 29 percent of
the tower height. And, 95 percent of the debris falls within a 20.6 percent
radius of the tower height.

My copy of the letter is a multi generation copy that is readable but poor
quality. You might find a better copy. However, if not I will be happy to
mail you a copy of what I have. This letter was included with my application
and satisfied, in part, the request of my Zoning Board and City Council.

and

[Towertalk] Re: Help-Tower Zoning

from
[<http://lists.contesting.com/archives/html/Towertalk/2002-04//archives//cgi-bin/namazu.cgi?query=%2Bfrom%3ASavageBR%40aol.com&idxname=Towertalk&sort=date%3Alate>SavageBR at aol.com]