[TowerTalk] Lightning Strike - Epilogue

Keith Dutson kjdutson at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 27 15:50:30 EDT 2004

Thanks to many who responded to my original post about the strike that hit
my QTH July 22.  Jim K5LAD was especially helpful in diagnosing the monitor
problem as temporary; just had to unplug for several hours to allow
degaussing to occur.

My biggest losses are one PC, the satellite Internet modem, one satellite TV
receiver and the Alpha 87A.  A new replacement PC is on the way from Dell.
A new Internet modem is on order.  DirecTV may replace the receiver under
warranty.  Alpha Power, now a division of Crosslink, wants me to return the
87A for diagnosis and repair.

So, the significant monetary losses are one PC and the Alpha.  Hopefully the
Alpha problems are confined to the AC module.  It will be shipped to
Colorado without the transformer, which is about half the 70 pound total
weight.

Analysis of the damage has revealed that the lines running from main house
to shack need to be grounded.  But I have decided on a better solution.  The
telephone line will be replaced with a new connection that will enter the
shack in a different location that is far from the power entrance.  The LAN
connection will be wireless.  The TV connection will be removed and a new
dish will be installed for the shack.

BTW, the bolt apparently hit the power lines in front of the house, after
the transformer.  The lines enter a weatherhead on another pole and run
through underground conduit to the main breaker panel.  The 200 amp main
breaker did not get tripped.

Thanks again to all who helped.