[TowerTalk] spider balls

W4ZW w4zw at comcast.net
Tue Jul 27 22:20:23 EDT 2004

I've used "porcupines" (that's what we always called so called spider balls)
and my experience is only based on use.  I never suffered a strike while
using porcupines,  but I always noticed how the spines were all burned off
on the tips when I'd service the tower.  After about 3 years, I had to
replace it since the spines were burned almost completely off.  Tower was
about 90' with mast and the porcupine was on the top of the mast.  I'd
surmise that they discharged fairly well.

Jon, W4ZW

Jon Hamlet, W4ZW

Casey Key Island, Florida

"A little bit of paradise in the Gulf of Mexico"