[TowerTalk] spider balls

Jerry Keller k3bz at arrl.net
Wed Jul 28 13:18:38 EDT 2004

I don't think the way pointy things on towers might work is at all contrary to established charge behavior. Quite the contrary. Maybe I just think of charge behavior differently than others would, I don't know.  But in any case I would not think of arguing theory with you Tom, you've probably forgotten more than I'll ever know about electronic theory. Seriously.

I take all the opinions and anecdotal stuff on lightning behavior with a grain of salt. It's interesting, but so far I haven't seen much that's really definitive about lightning behavior. So I just relax and enjoy the discussions. I'm glad that some things, even today, remain pretty much a mystery, to be pondered and analyzed and discussed as we do here. There's some strange and wonderful stuff going on out there, ya know.

What's REALLY important and what there is plenty of real evidence for, is that a PROPER grounding system is essential... and can really work... to minimize the adverse effects when Ma Nature does send her forces to visit.  Polyphaser and ICE and maybe a few others describe methods and provide products that work a lot of the time. I don't think there's a lot of disagreement here about the main principles and practices of damage mitigation.

I do have a Single Point Ground system. I don't have a pointy thing on top of my tower. But it's fun to participate in the endless speculative discussion of what might possibly go on BEFORE the strike...

73,  Jerry K3BZ