[TowerTalk] Lightning ceasing over big antenna farms?

VE6JY Don Moman ve6jy at freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
Wed Jul 28 13:49:41 EDT 2004

Well, it seems to happen here.  I have over a dozen towers, mostly in the
150 foot range, spread over 80 acres.  The location is on a fairly high
piece of ground (ridge) with quite a drop off to the east. I can see the
storms coming and leaving for quite a distance.   We do get a significant
amount of lightning activity in this area and it seems to be increasing, but
have never taken a direct hit - that I know of or that did any damage.
Obviously we get nearby strikes that can cause damage from the pulse but
even that is minimal - I just lost a VHF RX preamp 3 nights ago, which is
the only thing I can recall that has been damaged in the 10 years at this
QTH (other than beverage terminating resistors).  Now that I think of it, it
was connected to the only antenna that doesn't go thru the single point
bulkhead...... hmmm, time to change that.

MY previous QTH, not too far away but with only 1 tallish tower - 130 feet
was hit several times over a similar time frame.

I'm as convinced that it happens as some of you are that it doesn't. I
certainly can't prove it.    I don't  depend on not getting hit for
protection, so have a reasonably decent ground system but it certainly has
holes in the coverage as new things get added and "temporarily" hooked up
for a few years....  While there are no spider balls on my towers, there are
lots of pointy things like yagi elements.

I was in the forum at Dayton in 1994 when John W0UN described his similar
Kansas experience.  At the time I hadn't even purchased this property and
had little reason to remember that section of his presentation, but for some
reason it stuck in my mind.  We've since discussed this several times at
Dayton.  Perhaps there are other forces and circumstances that enter the
picture.   Kansas and Alberta are both on the eastern side of a significant
mountain range, and basically on the start of the plains to the east.

73 Don
VE6JY