[TowerTalk] spider balls

Tom Rauch w8ji at contesting.com
Wed Jul 28 21:34:48 EDT 2004

Because it's from you, Tom, I'm willing to accept that, but
I wonder:

1. Where does one find the data to which you refer?
2. Who are the researchers?
3. When was the data compiled?
4. How was the data gathered?>>

The links for this were all on this thread very early on. I
believe it was K1TTT that posted that particular link, but I
may be mistaken.

The data was derived from a map of recorded lightning hits,
and comparing concentration of hits to heights of towers.
One thing specifically discussed in these links was a water
tower that was erected near a house. They were very good in
their methodology, so I have no reason to doubt the
accuracy.

The other information is in the technical articles on the
polyphaser site.

Links people post here are generally very educational. If no
one pops up with the link(s) again, I guess I can search the
archives and find it again or you might have a look back.

I'd like to add:
http://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy00osti/28604.pdf

Which if you look at the data shows the number of hits in
farms of wind turbines is roughly proportional to the
frequency of lightning hits in the area. No "quiet zone" in
turbine farms from multiple towers or grounding!

and
http://www.nssl.noaa.gov/wrd/wish/kaney/light/light.html

73 Tom