[TowerTalk] Grounding, Lightning & corona discharge

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 29 12:56:18 EDT 2004

At 07:46 AM 7/29/2004 +0000, you wrote:
>Just curious, how is the telco connection done in the states ? What is
>there to connect to a single point ground?
>
>Here in SM it is just two wires coming to the house from the telephone
>pole, no screened cable to ground and no ground connection allowed on any
>of the incoming wires.
>
>73/Peter SM2CEW
>www.qsl.net/sm2cew
At the "point of demarcation" there's usually some form of lightning
arrestor/transient suppressor with a wire to the ground.  The wire comes
from the pole (or conduit, for underground service) to the demarc/arrestor,
then the house wiring plugs into the demarc.  IT serves a dual purpose of
delineating whose wire it is (on the utility side or the homeowner side)
and providing lightning protection.  Bear in mind that the utility doesn't
care about protecting YOUR equipment though.  They're protecting their side
(the drop, the cables, etc.)

Their goal and requirements for the device might be different from the
consumers... hence the popularity of aftermarket protective devices... the
phone company doesn't have a very complex system on their side of the line
(wires, cables, splices, not much electronics until you get to the Central
Office, and I'll bet the transient suppression on that end is a LOT better
than at my end)