[TowerTalk] spider balls.. they work

Norman Hockler norsan at bright.net
Fri Jul 30 02:13:32 EDT 2004

Ok, here is what I have observed.

In the 40's as a teenager I was crew on a wooden 100 ft sailing ship every
summer for 8 years.
We saw St. Elmos fire all the time.  It would shoot out from the spar ends
and screw
or bolt ends.

About the 3rd or 4th year the owner bought some spider balls ( they were
called spline balls.)  and they were installed on
the mast head of the fore and main masts.

The result was most of the St Elmo fire was dissipated by them and very
little could be observed from the spar ends.

Would this result in lowering the likely hood of a lightning strike on my
tower...... who knows.... but it did move most of the discharges
to the "sharp pointy spline balls"

Norm Hockler
N8NH