[TowerTalk] spider balls.. they work

david jordan wa3gin at erols.com
Fri Jul 30 14:41:15 EDT 2004

Jim,

It's the magic of radio...I think there is little objectivity when it
comes to such studies...it's really in the eyes of the beholder or is it
the lightning strike victim?

My practical experience is my guide.  I have a corona ball on my pick-up
trucks AM radio antenna and it reduces the static pop in the receiver. I
crank my towers down during thunder storms and I've never had a
lightning problem. I use polyphaser protection and a ufer ground system
as well.

If the porky pine gimmicks were cheap and readily available I'd put them
on my towers just because they are so strange looking (might keep the
bird off the antennas if nothing else) and just on the slight chance
that in my part of the country at any random time that is relevant it
just might be that for the instant of interest during that local thunder
storm, the damn things performed as advertised, haha.

I think this discussion will have to end without closure because we just
don't have a development planet to perform a significant amount of test
that would comprise a properly validated and  objective test of the
opposing theories.

It has been a fun thread but I don't have very high expectations, haha

73,
dave
wa3gin