[TowerTalk] 80 meter double extended zepp

Tim Duffy K3LR k3lr at k3lr.com
Thu Jun 3 19:05:55 EDT 2004

The double extended (two 5/8 wave elements) zepp is one of my all time favorite wire multi band antennas. I just picked up two of this exact antenna from open wire guru, W7FG, earlier this week This antenna has gain over a standard 1/2 wave dipole (almost 1.8 dB on 80 and more on the higher bands).  It should be fed with open wire the whole way (no coax, no baluns, no magic boxes) to a high performance antenna tuner that is balanced line capable. In my
opinion the best tuner for this application is the Johnson Matchbox. I have also had good success with the Heath 2060 and 2060A. Sure you have to adjust the tuner when you QSY, but the performance of the antenna is super! There is no free lunch!

73!
Tim K3LR

http://www.k3lr.com