[TowerTalk] New Zoning Regulations

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 6 14:34:30 EDT 2004

> Here's my favorite line from the Yuma City Ordinance:
>
> "EXCEPTIONS TO (building) HEIGHT LIMITS: The provisions of the section
> shall not apply to church spires, domes, belfries, cupolas, monuments,
> water tank towers, fire towers, observation towers, transmission
> towers, windmills, chimneys, smoke stacks, silos, derricks, conveyers,
> flag poles, and aerials and their necessary supports..."
>

> Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
> Yuma, AZ

Hmmm... church spires... I wonder... if my antenna is a religious symbol,
can I claim exemption from a host of restrictions based on the recent
"religious freedom" acts.  There's a fairly notorious case of this being
used to build things that would otherwise be prohibited by zoning rules in
Hancock Park (read: expensive Los Angeles neighborhood).

Grist for the armchair lawyers, certainly...
Have to have deep pockets to fight it out, of course.