[TowerTalk] URI magic antennas

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 8 13:47:26 EDT 2004

At 12:15 PM 6/8/2004 -0400, Dave Bernstein wrote:
>It is no longer necessary to use liquid helium to attain
>superconductivity. When last I checked, advances with ceramic materials
>had pushed superconductivity close to liquid nitrogen territory, and the
>goal of room-temperature superconductivity was still considered a
>possibility. See
>http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99991618, for example...
>
>     73,
>
>         Dave, AA6YQ

Practically speaking, you don't need superconductivity to improve
performance. Just cooling the metal will reduce the resistance, and hence
the loss, somewhat.  I seem to recall that Cu has about 1/7th the
resistance at LN2 (77K) temperatures compared to room temperature. It's
roughly linear... Dry Ice (200K?) might get you half or a third of the way
there.

Too bad, though, that you can't supercool the earth for some 20 wavelengths
around, to reduce that source of loss.

Too bad, also, that reducing resistance isn't the only thing you have to do...