[TowerTalk] Speculation

Jim Jarvis jimjarvis at comcast.net
Tue Jun 8 14:14:05 EDT 2004

Always an entertainment to watch the high-gain, High-Q ringing
on this site.  Often teases out good stuff.

Having spoken with the author, I'm still waiting for the 'inventor'
to call my office.  Although the words "distributed-load monopole"
sound a lot like a hamstick to me, I am interested to see what he's
come up with.

There ARE some things we don't see, which DO obey the laws of physics.
George Henf, of GAP antennas, for example, came up with a feed system
which simplified the quarter wave vertical...making it an off-center-fed
system.  The first product was within 1-2 dB of a resonant quarter wave
elevated GP, on 20 and 40 meters.  And it was broadband, due to the
offcenter
feed.  and..it didn't work worth spit on the lowest band.  The same was true
of the larger antenna, which covered 160m.

Short form:  there was real merit in SOME of the implementation, and the
general
concept.  The same may be true in the URI case.

The press release discussion was limited to VHF/UHF/SHF applications.  It
may
be that the physical structure has significant advantages there....owing as
much
to form factor as anything.

But the use of the subjunctive has been wide, in this discussion.  I'm
waiting
to hear from Rob Vincent.  Is it more than a hamstick for my dick tracey
wrist
radio??

Oh...and for the chap who believes 3dB is really sigificant...it depends on
where it's coming from, and what price you pay for it.  Adding another 300mW
to a PA is relatively cheap.  On the other hand, picking up 3dB at the kw
level
isn't...and pure antenna efficiency is valuable.

so, let's see.....we could LN2 cool the loaded vertical on our wrist radio,
if we
can only get some thermal separation to keep our wrists from snapping off
when we
hit the PTT....?

N2EA
jimjarvis at ieee.org