[TowerTalk] sealing connectors

K7LXC at aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Fri Jun 11 12:44:21 EDT 2004

In a message dated 6/11/04 5:37:43 AM Pacific Daylight Time, ky1k at pivot.net
writes:

> I went into my local Home Depot store and expected to find liquid
>  plastic/plastic in a can, but they didn't carry it.
>
>  I'm trying to seal some connectors that are going to be put up outside and
>  don't want to use silicone sealer.
>
>  This stuff comes in small cans and you dip your tool handles in it to coat
>  them with plastic or paint it on the connector to be sealed and let it set
> up.
>
>  Anyway, I'm not quite sure of the name of the product/manufacturer and not
>  sure where else to look for it, which probably means I'll have to mail
>  order it?!
>
>  Any suggestions?

    Sure - skip the plastic coating. It's been my experience that even the
ones that say they're UV resistant AREN'T - they dry out and flake off in spite
of the manufacturing claims.

    Why don't you use the old tried-and-true method used on thousands
(probably millions) of outdoor commercial joints like those at commercial and
cellular sites? A couple of layers of Scotch 33 or 88, a layer of butyl rubber vapor
wrap, and then a couple more layers of tape. The result is a pretty bombproof
joint. If you want, you can put your plastic stuff on the top (where you can
watch it eventually blow away) or many installers use clear acrylic spray paint
for the top coating. In any case it's the old belt-and-suspenders approach.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH -
888-833-3104