[TowerTalk] CAT 5 as Rotator cable

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Fri Jun 18 00:57:50 EDT 2004

At 10:23 PM 6/17/2004, K8RI wrote:
>My own thoughts are Cat-5 is a tad fragile. As I recall it's solid instead
>of stranded with the wires loose inside what amounts to a  thin walled
>plastic tube.

I think the real show-stopper is the small gauge of the wires.  I'm using
CAT3 successfully to run a remote antenna switch, but the current
requirement is only 30 ma.  The motor in a G-800 draws a lot more than
that, so the voltage drop over any distance would be prohibitive.  The
copper wire table in any ARRL Handbook will give you the resistance per
foot for various sizes of wire.

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database
was updated on June 5, 2004