[TowerTalk] Technique for Putting Don Radials?

Eric Rosenberg wd3q at starpower.net
Mon Jun 21 17:40:24 EDT 2004

At a recent PVRC meeting, an interesting method for laying down lots of
radials for a vertical.  Instead of cutting each radial individually and
attaching each piece to the vertical section, this technique involved
first staking out the outer perimeter of the radial "field", followed by
taking a LARGE spool of wire, attaching it on one end and unspooling it
to one perimeter stake, across to the adjacent one and then back to the
center "pole"... and repeating the process until completion.

This seems to be a quicker, less labor intensive (although using more
wire) method that appears to achieve the same effect... creating a ground
plane.

Did I get this right? I believe it was credited to W5UN, but I didn't see
anything on his website.

Can anyone comment on this and/or point me to some written documentation?

Thanks in advance,

Eric W3DQ
Washington, DC