[TowerTalk] CAT 5 as Rotator cable

Bill Coleman aa4lr at arrl.net
Wed Jun 23 08:07:13 EDT 2004

On Jun 17, 2004, at 7:41 PM, Martin Sole wrote:

> What I don't have is anything really suitable to connect my Yaesu
> G800SDX to
> its' control box.
>
> Question. Will CAT5 do the job?
>
> Distance is about 55 metres, say 180 feet.

It can.

I've used bell cable (the predecessor to CAT3) to connect up an AR22
rotator before. used it for 6 years without a problem.

You may or may not have a problem with exposure to the weather,
depending on conditions.

The biggest concern is whether or not there's sufficient
current-carrying capability for your rotator in the wire sizes
available in CAT5 cable, particularly for a 55m run.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901