[TowerTalk] HF LOG-PERIODIC ANTENNAS Comments Please

Rick Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Wed Jun 23 12:30:22 EDT 2004

Joe Subich, K4IK said:

> My three element SteppIR will have the same 7 MHz capability
> as a C4 ... and it will have 10 MHz capability as well.  It
> is my own design and will be the subject of a magazine (and/or
> possibly web) article.

I looked into this and discussed it will Mike at SteppIR.
The SteppIR can possibly work on 30 meters, only because
the legal power limit is 200W.  Even at this power, the
voltage developed is 2 or 3 times what the SteppIR normally
experiences at 1500W.  On 40 meters, only QRP is likely
possible because of the voltages involved.  Some tests have
been done which resulted in "fireworks".  A modified 2 element
SteppIR (personally delivered by Mike) is now under construction.
If you have some trick up your sleeve to get it on 40 meters,
then I'm sure many people will be interested in hearing about it.

Rick