[TowerTalk] Home Brew 40m "shortie"

David L. Thompson thompson at mindspring.com
Thu Jun 24 22:35:58 EDT 2004

The best shortie beam I remember was in ARRL literature in the early
70's...may still have been in the 1980 ARRL antenna book.  The  3 el shortie
that looks amazingly like the Cushcraft 2 el 40. The 3 elements were on a 36
foot boom.  The reflector/driven element spacing was 23 feet or almost
exactly the Cushcraft.  Shows the coils and cap hats too.

VE6VZ has higher Q coils on his web page too.

I asked Cushcraft why they did not make a 3 el and was told not worth the
effort over the 2 el version.

73 Dave K4JRB