[TowerTalk] Actual LP Performance vs Tribanders

Peter Sundberg sm2cew at telia.com
Sun Jun 27 03:01:24 EDT 2004

Good points Tom, thanks.

Just one comment regarding paragraph 2 where you say that there is a
'filter' that often has more attenuation of horizontally polarized signals
than vertically polarized.

I have found this to be totally the opposite. I do a lot of EME and on both
144 and 432 MHz and with my systems (homebrew x-pol yagis for 144 and a
28'dish with dual dipole feed for 432) I can instantly switch polarization
from horizontal to vertical. I certainly see that the surrounding objects
attenuate vertical more than horizontal. There is quite a big difference
actually, easily detectable on returning moon echoes. In different
directions I have objects in the pattern both in the near field and in the
far field, similar situation.

Could be different on HF, but to me it is not obvious why that would be.

73/Peter SM2CEW
www.qsl.net/sm2cew