[TowerTalk] Yaesu rotators

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Wed Jun 30 13:17:13 EDT 2004

At 12:14 PM 6/30/2004, Alan AB2OS wrote:
>I am sure that a Yaesu G-800 would handle what I want to put up, but I
>thought that a G-1000 would give a better safety margin. Yet I notice that
>the eham reviews rate the G-1000 rotators lower than the G-800 models; the
>G-1000 actually received several 5/5 ratings, but the 0/5 and 1/5 ratings
>pulled the average way down. Are the bigger ones really so much worse than
>the smaller ones?
>
>Opinions? Experiences?

I think that's error from a small, self-selected sample.  I have owned both
G-800 (2 years) and G-1000 (9 years now).  The G-1000 was still going
strong when struck by lightning last August -- pot is fried, and I haven't
repaired it yet.  I replaced it with another.  It is turning a C-3S and a
2-element 40m shortened yagi (18-ft boom).  The control boxes are
identical, and the rotators almost so - the G-1000 is about 1/2 inch taller.

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database
was updated on June 5, 2004
2728 contest stations at