[TowerTalk] K-factor. Was: Yaesu rotators

Alan AB2OS ab2os at att.net
Wed Jun 30 22:16:40 EDT 2004

In the course of looking around for a good price for a G-1000DXA, I went
to the Texas Towers Web site and noticed their explanation of the
"K-factor" item that I have seen in ads for Yaesu rotators. The K-factor
is defined as the weight of the antenna multiplied by its turning
radius, and, in the example they give, if one considers only the surface
area of a TH-11DXS, a G-800 rotator will handle it, but when the weight
and turning radius are considered, even a G-1000 is not up to the task.

In my case, all I intend to put up immediately is a 3-el. SteppIR, which
is within the capabilities of a G-1000DXA (or even a G-800DXA), but
adding the 4th element (which I might do later) would put me over the
top for that rotator.

If people are not considering K-factor when choosing a rotator, that
might explain some of the complaints (e.g., on eham.net) that Yaesu
rotators are too flimsy.

Alan AB2OS