[TowerTalk] Re: TowerTalk Digest, Vol 15, Issue 6

Ron Tivey n4gfo at fdn.com
Tue Mar 2 22:40:32 EST 2004

Conrad,

    I have a 90' tower with 3 guys at 85' , 55' and 30' that are
attached to Rail road rails.  6' above the ground and 4' in cement.
Although not "I" beams they are similar.  What you must keep in mind is
the pull at the top of the rail/I beam is like a lever with ever
increasing force at the point of ground entry.  The longer the rail the
more force at the ground point.  To this end the rail road rail were a
little more to my liking.  I have to admit it took three people to lift
it up and place it in the hole they were so heavy.  My tower is a little
over engineered because I am in Florida and must think of hurricane
strength winds.  So far nothing has happened and it has survived a
nearby twister.  Mowing is easy with the wire up 6' above ground and I
don't have to worry about my children running and hitting low guy
wires.  I plan on another tower with mono-banders on it and will use a
similar setup.  I hope this helps.

                                                          Ron, N4GFO