[TowerTalk] Aluminum tower update

Dave Kaiser kaiserdr at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 14 02:01:14 EST 2004

I had a post a year or so ago about Alumatower in Vero Beach, Fla., in which I indicated how great they were to provide new cable and instructions about how to recable my 20+ year old 60 foot tower.

Last month I decided to bite the bullet and send the tower over to Vero, about 300 miles, to have the tower rejuvenated. When I contacted Alumatower they said that they had a rep in Hudson, Fla., about 50 miles south of me, and if I could get the tower to him, he would take it over to Vero on one of his regular trips.

I took the tower to Hudson and it was transported on to Vero. I asked Alumatower to give me a price to totally refurbish the tower. I accidentally 'dropped' the tower on a concrete pool deck during Hurricane David, and it has gone through numerous other tragedies! It had several broken cross members and cracks.

I was shocked when Ted Gottry, the owner of Alumatower got back to me with an estimate. To totally redo the tower, including replacing the broken cross members, fixing all the cracks and putting on new guides and cable -- Alumatower wanted a grand total of $250! AMAZING! Note: For the same heavy-duty 60 foot NEW tower they now charge over $3,000.

Dave Kaiser, AL7HG
Crystal River, Fla.