[TowerTalk] TK-34 won't tune

Jim White jim at coloradosatellite.com
Sun Mar 14 17:20:15 EST 2004

I'd appreciate any thoughts on how to determine the problem with a TK-34.

I purchased a used TK-34 that was just taken down.  The boom was in two
pieces, each element was removed from the boom but not otherwise disassembled.

I've put it back together on saw horses but the tuning is way off.  With
both driven elements connected the resonance points are way off and none
are below about 2 X 1.

With the straps connecting the two driven elements removed so only the
first driven is connected there are nice low SWR points but they are in the
wrong places as follows.

1.1 X 1 at :
22.67
16.4
15.36
1.2 X 1 at
31.66

All other frequencies are above 3 X 1.

We have checked and tightened all connections and straps.
None of the cap insulators are broken.
The 4X1 balun tests shows continuity between the center conductor of the
coax fitting to one side of the T match, and from the shield to the other
side of the T match.
We have measured all dimensions against the manual and they are right on.
We have looked carefully at all assembly instructions in the manual and the
antenna is put together correctly.
Nothing is bent or has ever been bent.

We are testing with an MFJ antenna meter that we verified good against a
known good triband beam.

Any thoughts on how to zero in on the problem, what the common problems
are, what experience others have had, etc. would be appreciated.

Jim
WD0E
jim at coloradosatellite.com