[TowerTalk] Heights "Clanging" noise at moderate winds

Robert_Redoutey at Dell.com Robert_Redoutey at Dell.com
Thu Mar 18 07:25:53 EST 2004

New to the list, but have done some reading of archives.

I bought a brand new Heights Tower, 72' plus the tilt over 4' base, 25 sf wind load. I had some issues with this "clanging" sound when I had it assembled, but without the bean, a Force 12 C4. Drake, Heights owner, thought that I may not of had the bolts tight. I bought a high grade torque wrench and made sure they were set to the setting he suggested. I finished my installation, adding the antenna and cables, and raised it back up. The winds were calm and all was quiet. A couple of days later we have moderate winds of 15 mph, and the tower sounds like there are a dozen people hanging from it with wrenches clanging at every joint on it. When the wind is low...few sounds, when the wind picks up, the clanging picks up. Directly related to the wind on the tower.

If somebody has had the same issue with this tower, what was the solution? I have invested nearly $10,000 on this tower, which is a huge sum of money for me (over 2 years of savings), but thought it would be worth it. I have had aluminum towers in the past (Universal) and never had this "clanging". I live in a residential area and am concerned more about the noise than anything. I will have to lay it back down till I find a fix. NOT a happy person.

Any suggestions, GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob Redoutey - N5KF
PG Regulatory Engineering Sr. Analyst