[TowerTalk] Regalvanizing tower sections

Jay Urish j at unixwolf.net
Fri Mar 19 13:17:55 EST 2004

At 11:37 AM 3/19/2004, Neal Cox wrote:
>I have a Rohn HDBX tower that contains sections where the galvanizing has
>failed and the metal is rusting. I've considered rust stabilizer coating,
>"cold galvanizing", and having the sections regalvanized.
>The sections can be regalvanized at a moderate cost in the North Texas
>area for $0.48/lb. However
>a representative for the firm providing me the quote warned that warpage
>of the sections would probably
>take place because of the high heat involved in the process. I have
>learned that "cold galvanizing" isn't
>galvanizing, just coating with a zinc rich paint. The rust stabilizer
>sounds good but I wonder how it well
>it would work on a tower constantly exposed to the weather. Also, the
>regalvanizing processs includes
>removing the old galvanizing and then hot dip galvanizing. The cost is
>$0.16/lb to strip and $0.32/lb to
>galvanize. My Rohn HDBX32 has been up for 21 years. Any suggestions?
>
>Thanks, Neal, K5WZI

With that thing being that old, I would seriously consider junking it.

Jay Urish       W5GM Extra Class ARO
http://w5gm.unixwolf.net
ARRL and W5YI Volunteer Examiner
Denton County Assistant Emergency Coordinator
I am affiliated with the following groups:

Lewisville 517group.org                 Denton County Amateur Radio Association
American Radio Relay League             Tarrant County R.A.C.E.S
TX VHF FM Society                       Lone Star DX Assn.
Dallas County R.A.C.E.S #5252   Denton County A.R.E.S

Monitoring 145.17 (W5FKN)       146.92 (W5NGU)