[TowerTalk] Can Chrome-moly be galvanized? Should it?

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Sat Mar 20 18:15:47 EST 2004

I'm embarked on this summer's antenna project, which will involve
substituting a 16-20 foot 2" chrome-moly mast for my present 10-foot Rohn
galvanized steel one.

I have been warned that bare chrome-moly will rust and make a mess.  Would
it make sense either to have it galvanized or paint it with a POR-15-type
product before it goes up?  The tower has a Rohn 25 pointy-top, so some
degree of wear and tear on any coating seems inevitable, and maybe this is
overkill.  What do you think?

73, Pete N4ZR
2671 calls now in the
World HF Contest Station Database