[TowerTalk] Static, Lightening, and protection

Tom Champlin w0hh at msn.com
Sun Mar 21 22:49:29 EST 2004

No one can predict what lightning will do, regardless of whatever protective
mechanism is used, or regardless of the theoretical prowess of the designer.
I have observed many hams who have a yagi above their tower, but do not have
the 20 foot 2 meter shaft above the yagi who have never had any lightning
problems. I also know hams who did have this big lightning rod above their
yagi who lost the whole station. After personally inspecting such an
installation that had just been hit, I decided to never have anything above
the yagi except maybe 5' of mast for the truss. In 13 years, I have never
had a hit. I do use heavy solid copper radials and 3 ground rods under the
tower to help dissipate a strike should one occur. I also use the Polyphasor
coax lightning arrestor which may be of some value.

73, Tom W0HH