[TowerTalk] KT34 & Shunt Feeding

Phil - KB9CRY kb9cry at comcast.net
Sun Mar 28 08:23:56 EST 2004

I've got to drop my KT34XA to upgrade the element to boom adapters (one
of the original KLM version has become loose and will be upgraded with
the DX Engr. type) and while it's down I want to perform other mods
(it's already been upgraded with the M2 upgrades).  Anyway, this antenna
is on top of a 72 ft. Trylon self supporting tower, which two years ago,
I began shunt feeding on 160M.  That has worked like a champ but I'm
concerned that the high voltages have been messing something up with the
antenna.  Since the last year or so, I've noticed that the antenna seems
dead on 10 & 15M.  I've verified it's an antenna problem by switching in
the backup radio.  Front to back and SWRs on those bands are still OK
but it just doesn't hear well; everything seems attentuated.  20M seems
OK.  So, I have a few questions for the group:

1.  The original KLM 4:1 balun is a voltage type, correct?
I'd like to change this out to a current type.  I know some folks who
are using the Radio Works replacement with good success.
Can I make my own out of ferrite cores and using an impedance matching
system (dual 50 & 75 ohm coax)?
Exactly what type & material cores should be used?
To what frequency is the matching system sized for since it's a multi
band antenna?

2.  Can my attentuation problem be caused by the high voltages of the
shunt feed messing up the balun?
When I did my annual inpection up top last summer, I did not notice any
damage to coax, the element to boom insulators, etc.

3. The KLM has elements which are insulated from the boom.  I've read
previously that one can place an impedance jumper (?) between the
element and boom to prevent high voltage arcing at the insulators.
Please tell me exactly what to do here.

Any other suggestion would be appreciated.  Tnx in advance, Phil  KB9CRY