[TowerTalk] Ground system

J. Keller k3bz at arrl.net
Sat May 1 07:38:20 EDT 2004

That's why Kansas is flat.

73,  Jerry K3BZ

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lee Buller" <k0wa at swbell.net>
To: <K8fu at aol.com>
Cc: <towertalk at contesting.com>
Sent: Friday, April 30, 2004 4:22 PM
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ground system

> Driving groudrods.....
>
> Depends on the soil, but here in Kansas it is pretty easy without using a
hammer, sledge, or any vibrating hammer.  Try this to get the ground rod
in....

> I used 8' ground rods from the local hardware store or electrical shop.
>
> I used a small garden spade and dig a divit.  You can use a driver or a 5
iron, but I hate cleaning them, besides, I can dig the divit a little more
precise than using a golf club.  Take a plastic jug and fill it with water.
Pour a little water in the divit and wait till is disappears.  Do that
again...a third time....until you have standing water in the divit.

> Take the ground rod and push it in the divit.  Pull it out...water goes
down the little hole.  Pour in more water....put the ground rod in
again...push down...pour more water...pull up and out as needed on the
ground rod.  Soon, you will have it all the way down...8 feet.  You might
want to take a vice-grips and put it on the end when you get low enough.