[TowerTalk] Ground Rods

Kirk Harding kirk.harding at cox.net
Sat May 1 09:11:22 EDT 2004

I'm in the process of adding an attached patio deck to our home.  In
addition I'm having a room (ham shack, game room) built under the deck.  One
problem the contractor encountered is supporting the existing (house)
foundation.  Living here in SW Florida (or any place else in Florida),
everything is built on very sandy soil.  So, he had to reinforce the
foundation by driving 8 feet of U shaped sheet metal along the existing
foundation.  Each Piece of metal was driven down about 9 feet.  What he used
was a fixture that sat on top of the sheet metal.  He then used a electric
driven jack hammer to drive the pieces in.  The reinforcement had to be
completed before room digging could begin.  This worked very successfully.
My point is:  If you can drive a sharpened piece of angle iron using this
same technique then you probably could drive a ground rod in the same
fashion (using a hammer drill or jack hammer).

You won't know until you give it a try.

Good luck!

Kirk, K6KAR/4
Niceville, FL