[TowerTalk] Tower VS aeroplane suit dropped....

Bill Coleman aa4lr at arrl.net
Tue May 4 23:13:03 EDT 2004

On Apr 29, 2004, at 12:55 PM, K4SB wrote:

> Well, it's been some time, but the absolute minimum altitude for any
> aircraft except the military is 500 feet above your location.(
> exception for air shows )

Actually, Ed, that's not true. In unpopulated areas, an aircraft only
needs to be 500 feet AWAY from any "person, vehicle or structure". In
populated areas, the minimum is 500 feet, except for purposes of
take-off or landing.

In certain other areas, minimum altitudes are higher (with the
exception of taking off or landing).

>  The military is allowed to go as low as 200
> feet, but only on clearly established routes. An exception also exists
> for military flights over unpopulated areas in clearly designated
> areas, where they may fly 50 feet off the ground. The Navy calls them
> "Sandblowers" and I have probably several hundred hours flying them.

Actually, military routes go even lower, and often outside of the
established routes, but that's a topic for another time.

> Of course, in an emergency, all bets are off and the pilot in command
> has the final say.

There's a whole lotta facts missing from this pilot hits tower lawsuit.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901