[TowerTalk] Getting back in the saddle

Didonna, Richard RDiDonna at wrf.com
Wed May 5 09:51:52 EDT 2004

Hello all,

After about 12 or so years off the air, I think the bug to return to the contesting world has returned.

I've procured a nice house in Northern Virginia - but in a development that has some loose CCR limits.  Interestingly, none of them have an outright prohibition on antennas or other structures.

While I'd like to start putting up towers and TH7DXXs, I've received an overall objection from the #1 authority - the wife of course.

Anyhow, I've got about a 1/3 acre lot - a big portion is grass lawn, and the house of course.  However, the rear 1/4 of the lot contains a 150' long strip of elevated grade (30' wide) with about 15 or so maple, ash, and other associated trees.  Most all are mature with multiple branch systems and rising to heights up to 60 feet.

I've considered the following items: a half or 1/4 wave inverted L for 75/80 meters with an appropriate ground plane system; a half or 1/4 wave inverted L for 40 meters or a pair or trio of verticals for 40 meters.  For the high bands, I would really, really love to go beam, but that's simply not going to happen.  Will the inverted L provide enough optimum results (using a tuner) for the high bands, or should I really consider dedicated high band antennas?

Additionally, I've considered using the tree trunks as the supports for the verticals.  Are there voltage/current concerns that I should really be aware of for fire concern-sake.  Additionally, is there a radiation pattern penalty that is presented by a mature tree?

Best regards and 73

Rich KI6ZH/4