[TowerTalk] Modelling a basic stack

Bill VanAlstyne w5wvo at cybermesa.net
Mon May 10 01:25:30 EDT 2004

Well, since this has become at least in part a referendum on YO, I'm going to
toss my hat strongly into the YO ring. My experience with it has been very
positive.

Since you're talking about stacking two A50-5S antennas, however, let me also
submit to you that stacking two of a poor antenna is a twice-poor idea. And the
A50-5S is a very poorly designed antenna. It is intended to be idiot-proof
(which, I assume, is why all the elements are equidistant) rather than
optimized. I used YO to redesign this 5-el antenna on a 17.5' boom, and the
optimization process yielded a design that is very close to the M2 6M5X, which
is a very good antenna for its size. You can modify the A50-5S in this fashion
for the cost of a 6-ft piece of aluminum tubing (UPS shippable from Texas
Towers) and two hose clamps. About ten bucks. For this lofty expenditure, you
will get about a 1.5 dB increase in forward gain, an improvement in 3 dB
beamwidth of 8 degrees (54 down to 46), and a front-to-rear that is awesomely
better, typically better by 15 dB or more depending on height above real ground
and other variables.

The modified antenna is easily matched to the line by re-tweaking the existing
gamma match and driven element length using an MFJ 259B. I was able to achieve
zero reactance and a flat 1:1 SWR at 50.150 MHz with a little patient fiddling.

So IMO, this is where you should start -- with a decent antenna. If you already
have an A50-5S, I strongly recommend this modification. (I wrote a paper on it
if anybody's interested. Or do the optimization yourself.) For ten dollars (or
less, if you you can get a 6' X 1.5" OD tube locally and not pay the shipping),
you'll probably get as much benefit as you would by stacking two stock A50-5S's,
with a lot less hassle, expense, and strain on your rotator.

If you don't already have an A50-5S, just one word: don't. The stainless steel
hardware used in this antenna is (IMO) of poor quality, and is prone to galling.
I had to replace all my U-bolts and nuts when I disassembled my A50-5S for the
first time. If you put yours together without some kind of anti-seize
lubrication, you probably will, too.

Bill / W5WVO