[TowerTalk] CDE Ham II

Bill Coleman aa4lr at arrl.net
Tue May 11 08:02:10 EDT 2004

On May 10, 2004, at 7:41 PM, Steve wrote:
> After all these years, is that lubricant on the ball bearings still a
> functioning lubricant? Or is it of questionable character and should
> be replaced? If so, with what?

You can probably tell this the best. Touch the lubricant and rub it
between your fingers. If it feels smooth and slippery, it's still good.
If it feels dry and gritty, it probably needs to be replaced.

I'd wager that you'll find the lubricant is in good shape. Most of
these rotators survive 23 years OUTSIDE and still function, yet yours
was kept sheltered.

I have a Ham-M series 5 from 1972 that I rebuilt back in 2000. Who
knows what this poor rotator had been through, but internally it was in
good shape.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901