[TowerTalk] MFJ 259 vs 259B ??

Bill VanAlstyne w5wvo at cybermesa.net
Tue May 11 18:13:29 EDT 2004

CAUTION -- second-hand information! I have a 259B, and have never personally
seen or used an original 259. Having given that caveat --  a friend of mine has
one, and he told me that one principle difference is that the 259 doesn't show
reactance (X) and resistance (R) on the LCD panel. Just net Z and SWR. There are
probably other differences as well, but to me this one is key. Being able to see
the changing relationship between reactance and impedance is a terrific
advantage when tuning up an antenna and/or matching system. We're not talking
about a tremendous amount of money here, so IMO you should pay a little more and
get a 259B -- which probably means getting a new one. Can't imagine why anybody
would sell one unless they were a for-profit gear trader. Probably the one
indispensible piece of test gear for any ham. Sure wish we had had such an
instrument thirty years ago.

Bill / W5WVO