[TowerTalk] Wire for Radials

Rick Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Wed May 12 17:39:03 EDT 2004

I have about 15 miles of hookup wire rolled out on the ground.
What you have is similar but not insulated.  Someday, it
may corrode away, but that's hard to predict.
It will handle full legal power.  It's flimsy mechanically,
of course, which means it could get broken or cut by the lawn
mower occasionally.  OTOH, it won't harm the mower if you do
cut it.  With 12 gauge wire, the mower may not just slice through
it and keep running.

The RF resistance of your wire is around 1/10 ohm per foot
on the low bands.  12 gauge would have 1/4 as much resistance
by comparison.

Rick N6RK