[TowerTalk] Broken Element Tip

Eric Scace K3NA eric at k3na.org
Wed May 12 21:21:05 EDT 2004

My conclusions are rivets are a *very* poor method of
securing elements, and antennas need dampers inside
elements.

73 Tom

Hi Tom --

   Rivets seem to work ok in lots of important structures.  I think the problems are not in riveting per se, but rather the
engineering of the riveting system (i.e., proper sizes, material, location and quantity)?

   I agree with you on anti-vibration.  Most thin elements need vibration dampeners.  The method of assembly has no impact on
whether the assembled element will exhibit mechanical resonances in a breeze.

-- Eric