[TowerTalk] Low Inductance Ground Idea

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Thu May 13 17:20:03 EDT 2004

At 06:42 PM 5/13/2004 +0100, Tim Makins, EI8IC wrote:

> [...]

Back in the 70s, I was doing research on brain waves, so we had high gain
differential amplifiers hooked up, and a ground/guard electrode to reduce
the common mode signal that the diff amp would have to reject.  Typical
electrode impedances (at 100 Hz) would be around 1K ohm, so even if the
line was leaking through 100K, you'd feel it (threshold of sensitivity is
around 1 mA).  In this case, I think the leakage path was through some 0.1
uF caps hooked from line to ground(and case) for "transient suppression"
inside the equipment.  The ground pin in the cord wasn't connected (or had
failed), so the equipment case was hot, relative to the actual ground.

In the last 20-30 years, medical equipment designers have become very aware
of such paths, and patient isolation is much better. (and they have clear
plugs so you can visually inspect the connections, too!).

In any case, measuring microvolt signals from 1-300 Hz, and rejecting 60Hz
interference is quite the challenge.  Ground loops have real significance,
when you're trying to get 100 dB+ CMRR.