[TowerTalk] GR 1606-A

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Fri May 14 19:35:32 EDT 2004

I bought one of these fine instruments on EBay and have set it up on the bench. The bridge
works when measuring something without much reactance, but the main tuning capacitor
(C3) is very noisy at many points throughout its range of adjustment. The initial balance
capacitor (C4) is quiet, and so are both adjustments of the resistive leg. I have a copy of
the manual, and it looks like it's a bear to take apart and put back together.

Any ideas about how I ought to attack this?  Are there some common things that go
wrong? Precision mechanical assemblies are not one of my strengths, so I'm reluctant to
open it up without knowing where to go from there (and that it's worth doing).

Jim Brown  K9YC