[TowerTalk] Class 2 and Class 7 Poles

Alan AB2OS ab2os at att.net
Mon May 17 19:34:53 EDT 2004

Everyone who responded has given me a lot to think about. I had not
thought at all about the task of climbing the thing, and I can see that
a coventional tower would be much simpler in that respect.

The tower I have in mind would be a free-standing AN wireless unit,
which could be erected section by section using a gin pole. The only way
to set up a utility pole (or to assemble the tower on the ground and
pick it up) would be to get a crane with a jib long enough to reach over
the roof of the house: there just isn't room to get around either end of
the house without intruding into a neighbor's property.

I think I'll stick with the tower.

BTW, they used steel-and-concrete utility poles (called "Stobie poles")
in Adelaide, South Australia when I lived there 40 yrs ago.

Alan AB2OS

On 05/17/04 06:50 pm Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604 put fingers to
keyboard and launched the following message into cyberspace: