[TowerTalk] Air Force RFI in Florida

Tower (K8RI) tower at rogerhalstead.com
Thu May 20 12:14:24 EDT 2004

> Looks like people in Central Florida have a problem....and not by hams

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/southflorida/sfl-518jamming,0,6144770,print.story?coll=sfla-home-headlines

The problem is the garage door openeres which are so called "unlicensed
devices" operating on a band that is used by licensed services.  We could
run into the same thing with cordless phones, wireless weather stations (440
band), and even Wi-fi (2.4 Gig).  Another potentially serious problem is
RFID system which I believe are in the 440 range, particularly if they are
allowed to increase the power.
.

> How do you solve that?

Technically you prevent such devices from ever being used, but unfrotunately
there are millions of such devices already out there just waiting to cause
interferrence, or be interferred with.

In many cases there is no cure if the station is nearby as with the air
force system.  If you read the tags on the equipment the purchaser basically
agrees to cause no interferrence and take what they get.  (that gag should
be on every Wi-fi device as all other "unlicensed devices")  The air force
is under no obligation to even try to fix the problem, but would be doing so
strictly as a PR campaign.

N833R, World's Oldest Debonair (S# CD-2)
www.rogerhalstead.com