[TowerTalk] Pre-Form Big Grips

Tower (K8RI) tower at rogerhalstead.com
Sun May 23 18:30:49 EDT 2004

The instructions I have are at least 4 years old and do not mention
splitting the legs (EXCEPT to finish the winding) , so I've not done that.
However I would think it would make them much easier to install.

When installing the "Big Grips", I put the guy line under tension using a
ComeAlong with a self locking grip.  I try to pretension at least at the
working tension, or a bit above.  This makes them easier to install and aids
in giving them a real bite.

I would add that installing any other than the smallest "Big Grips" takes
work, a lot of leverage, and maybe even some practice.  I used a large
screwdriver ( 14 or 16 inch as I recall) with a rectangular shank "at the
ends" This allowed me to take the curved ends around the guyline
*relatively* easy.  The last few inches can be a real bear. Particularly on
the 6000# test guy line.

The instructions caution against using tools except for splitting the
strands.  I did find the screw driver necessary to get those curved ends
around the Phillystran

Remember too, they are not reusable also the tension is "recommended" to be
10% of the rated strength of the guy line.

N833R, World's Oldest Debonair (S# CD-2)
www.rogerhalstead.com

I have a question for the ones in the know here :
    I purchased some PLP Big-Grips recently and was given a copy of the
instruction sheets. I was surprised to see that they say to split the
strands on each leg. I don't recall ever reading this in any of the postings
or recommendations as far as using these, but maybe I was just not paying
close enough attention??
    Does anyone split the legs { separate the 4 bonded strands into 2 pairs
of strands} and install them as per these instructions?
        Thank you, Byron WA5THJ.