[TowerTalk] Cadweld help

Wilson Lui wilsonlui at atitec.com
Mon May 24 17:27:02 EDT 2004

If you are using the tradition "shots" the starting powder is compacted at
the bottom of the tube. You'll need to tap on the tube after you've poured
the weld metal out so the starting material gets loosen enough for you to
sprinkle on top of the weld metal and to the side of the mold. If you've had
these shots for a long time already, 2 things might have happened. 1 -
You've shaken the tubes (Shots) too much that the starting material got
completely mixed in with the weld metal. In that case, there's no way for
you to ignite it. You'll have to buy new shots for it. 2 - If you had these
tubes for a long time, 20% of the time they are lost due to moisture issues.
Again there's nothing you can do about it except to go buy new shots.

If you are using the Foil Pack type weld metals, the starting materials are
in it's own separate containers and all you have to do is open that and
sprinkle some on top of the weld metal and side of the mold.

I don't recommend you to light the starting materials with a torch since
it's most likely not going to be hot enough to light it up. All you'll end
up doing is blowing the starting material all over the place from the
pressure by the torch. The starting material lights up at 800 degrees. And
the Weld Metal reacts at 1800 degrees. Then the whole exothermic reaction
burns at 4300 degrees. For this reason, I strongly suggest you to only
ignite the starting material with a "Flint Ignitor".

If you have any questions, feel free to call me at anytime or visit our
website at www.atitec.com for more information. I hope this is helpful for
you!

Wilson Lui
ATI Tectoniks