[TowerTalk] Conversion to W6NL 40M MOXON

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Tue May 25 17:34:53 EDT 2004

At 01:52 PM 5/25/2004, GALE STEWARD wrote:
>I read with interest the transcript of the Dayton
>presentation by W6NL of his 2 element 40M MOXON type
>yagi.
>
>http://www.kkn.net/dayton2004/W6NL_40M_MOXON_YAGI.pdf
>
>I wondered if anyone has thought about converting a CC
>40-2CD (or equivalent) to the W6NL MOXON design. This
>would eliminate the loading coils and cap hats. Maybe
>someone has even tried this already.

After a quick look at the paper and the associated .gif drawing that gave
the tubing sizes, I couldn't help wondering about the structural soundness
of the intersection between the elements and the loading structures, which
involve two different sizes of element tubing and a third size in the cross
pieces.  Dave literally wrote the book on physical design of yagis, but
that looks like a pretty critical area.  Didn't I hear somewhere that
NT1Y's new 80M F12 yagi failed at similar points in the elements?

Maybe Dave or someone familiar with the design can explain how to properly
fabricate that 4-way connection.  The antenna modeling results sure look
fabulous.

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database
was updated on April 26, 2004