[TowerTalk] Mast load question

KJ0M kj0m at mchsi.com
Wed May 26 15:55:08 EDT 2004

I have a question regarding the installation of a couple of antennas
on a US Tower TX-472 crank-up, tilt-over tower. The question involves
lateral loads on the mast when the tower is tilted over. The tower is
rated as I have it installed to handle quite a bit more wind loading
than I will have on it. This includes the bending moment at the tower
base and at the base of the mast at the thrust bearing. I'm not
worried in this regard. It has to do with when the tower is tilted
over.

Currently, I have a Force-12 Model 5BA with a 32 foot boom installed
directly above the thrust bearing. I can tilt the tower over to
approximately a 45 degree angle to inspect or work on the antenna and
all the elements from the ground or using just a small step ladder to
reach the elements near the center of the boom. This entails tilting
the tower up a bit, rotating the antenna to get at either end of the
boom and tilting the tower back down. The antenna, which weighs about
85# can be installed by me alone by installing the bare boom and then
adding all 15 elements one at a time. Again, this can be accomplished
from the ground or on a short step ladder.

I would like to install a Force-12 240/230 4 element antenna on a 24
foot boom above the 5BA. Due to interaction between these antennas, I
need to install this antenna at least 9 feet and preferably more
above the 5BA. The plan is to install a new chromalloy mast of 20
feet, with 4 feet inside the tower and placing the 240/230 about 12
feet above the 5BA at the thrust bearing.That will allow room for the
boom truss on the 240/230. This antenna weighs around 45#. I plan on
doing this myself by following the above model, first by installing
the new mast, then the 4 element 30/40 meter antenna followed by the
5BA.

Wind loading for the 2 of them is about 17 square feet, which, as
stated above, I've accounted for when vertical, either extended or
retracted. I can extend the tower to 72 feet from within the shack
and keep it nested at 21 feet unless in use. I believe and have
calculated that I'm well within specs for the tower/antenna
combination, both at the base of the tower and the thrust bearing.

I have a special steel jig made to support the tower when it's tilted
over. That takes the tension off the tilting cable while I do my
work. It makes me feel better in that I know if the cable were to
break, the tower would stay put. I feel that when tilted over,
there's a terrific amount of force on that cable, so I had this jig
welded up by a local welder. I tilt the tower over, place the bracket
under the tower to carry the weight of it and lower the tower until
the cable gets slack.

My question regards when the tower is tilted over with the antennas
both installed. With that 45# antenna about 12 feet above the thrust
bearing and everything leaned over at about 45 degrees, it seems to
me that there's a terrific amount of lateral force on that mast with
then antenna 12 feet above the thrust bearing. I wonder if it's too
much? The 5BA at the thrust bearing would have little effect, it
seems, since it's right at the thrust bearing and it's weight would
be supported by the thrust bearing. At least that's the way it feels,
intuitively, to me.

Nearly all of the lateral force on the mast would come from the top
antenna, wouldn't it? That force would be applied like a lever to the
rotor, which is 4 feet inside the tower, below the thrust bearing. Is
there any way to calculate this force? Would it shear the bolts
holding the rotor to the rotor plate? Maybe it's nothing to worry
about at all, considering it's only 45#. I'm sure the chromalloy mast
could take it. What about the rotor bolts?

Can anyone comment on this? I'd rest easier knowing this isn't a big
problem before I tackle it.

Thanks.

de KJ0M
Jim