[TowerTalk] Belts/Harness legality

john.brewer at us.schneider-electric.com john.brewer at us.schneider-electric.com
Thu May 27 13:24:36 EDT 2004

I don't think there's any law whatsoever (even here in the east!) that mandates what
kind of belt to use,  or to use one at all on your own property.   It may be an Federal OSHA
rule
for commercial outfits, but certainly not for homeowner/hams repairing their own towers.
Give the government enough time and they'll find a way to tax and regulate it however! :-)

While I agree that a properly outfitted harness/fall arrest system is the way to go, I'd
suspect
that the vast majority of hams use a belt sytem only.   This may or may not make sense if
you're climbing a tower once  in a blue moon.... the risk/reward depends on the individual
situation.

As in many situations,  how safe you are can depend a lot on how much you can afford
to spend (all other things being equal).

John