[TowerTalk] Raising the Mast w/Antennas

AA6DX aa6dx at pacbell.net
Thu May 27 23:04:16 EDT 2004

Yep .. know about that poundage .. been there, done that, quite a few times
... never a 30 foot mast, though ... whew!  For my own station, once had 22
feet mast, a REAL Hy-Gain Long John, 15M mono .. 204BA on top, 6el mono 10
in the middle ..  w/ steps installed afterwards, for tweakin'...and .. well,
you get the idear! 2 bearings (TB3).  Another installation, at Washington DC
(Northern VA) same mast, Mosely 20m mono, 5 el, 46' boom, up 8' above 64'
flopover Rohn 45... fun fun ...  and all the other bigguns...plus, FM
broadcast antennas.  That can be fun in nasty wx... like, snow!
The real tower guy, though is ex AL7CQ  .. now K5ZO ... best I've ever seen
in action.  Rich, KL7RA no slouch either .. up outside Fairbanks, during
CQWW 25 or 30 below, fixing the lower 20 meter beam as to rotate again so I
could keep the rate on 20 .. I kept on using the top antenna while he was on
the tower in the ice fog...now, that's serious tower work!
HIHI .. Mark